Creative Project

Creative Project – Stages of Construction

Stages of the construction

To start I cut the pattern pieces for the bodice out in the blue satin and machines it together to create the first layer of the bodice. I then did the same with the calico and then repeated again with another layer of the satin. I then placed the layer of calico on the back of the first layer of satin and put the lining layer of satin right side facing with the front layer of satin pinned and sewed them together. Then I turned the lining satin over so that it became the lining. I pressed the pieces with an iron in the hopes that it would make the lining sit right in the bodice but this did not work due to the fact that the satin is so smooth and slippery so I ended u removing it and re-sewing the front satin and the calico together had I known this was going to happen I would have bought a cotton blue for the lining and even though it isn’t seen it is a nice finishing touch and would have helped with how the bodice sits.

I was originally going to make the crinoline myself but upon reflection I realised that I wouldn’t have enough time to do everything and make it and so I bought a crinoline and added a couple layers to the bottom so that it would sit properly if I had not done this then the dresses skirt would have puled under the crinoline when my performer walked in it. I should have added more layers that fell from the top of the crinoline to make the dress larger and it may have hidden the lights better.

The skirt took some working out as the pattern piece I had wasn’t long enough I didn’t have time to get any pattern paper and redraw that pattern piece like I should have as the rest of the construction took longer than originally anticipated and so using the crinoline as a guide I worked out how long each skirt piece had to be to reach the floor and drew around the pattern piece as it was and then moved the pattern down so that when it was cut it would be the right length. I then sewed the pieces together leaving a section at the top of the back for a zip. Due to the fact that I don’t own pinking shears, the satin frayed a lot which meant I had to cut a load of fraying off. Next, I gathered the skirt using a combination of box pleats and standard pleats to make the skirt fit into the waistband of the bodice as well as making sure that when the model was wearing it would hang straight. My next task was to hem the skirt I ended up having to do this by hand due to the fraying this took several hours and by the time I had finished this I found out that my model had pulled out of the project and I didn’t have time to alter the bodice to fit another model and re-hem the skirt.

I decided not to flame bar my material as often it isn’t made for clothing it’s for sets. Even though there is a fabric flame bar I know that it can change the colour of the fabric and I didn’t want to do it and it be patchy in colour due to the flame bar. I selected lights for the dress that are supposed to go in fabric and doesn’t create heat. The lights were safety pinned onto the crinoline as I ran out of time to sew them on due to the fact that my model dropped out and I had to drastically alter the bodice.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s