Industry Development

Work Experience Diary

Tuesday 30th January 2018

6pm – 11pm (5hrs)

To start the night, I helped sweep the stage. Then I took one of the market stalls onto the stage before removing the walk down from the stage and putting it in the designated area. The majority of the scene changes are done with clothes, so I helped walk the clothes across the stage and set them using planks of wood that were roughly 4×4 so that the clothes sit right and have weight to help them stay straight. There was a ship that went on stage a couple of times it is in multiply pieces and therefore must go on and off in a certain order to ensure that it can be stored correctly due to limited storage space on side of the stage and so that it can be put together quickly on stage. During the interval, the stage manager showed me how to change the confetti cannon where due to the price they are only using one until the last few shows of the week. At the end of the night, the stage was once again swept so that there was less to do the next day.

 

Wednesday 31st January 2018

6pm – 11pm (5hrs)

It was very much the same as the night before we started with taking the market stalls onto the stage and then taking the walk down off before sweeping the stage ready to start the show. Many of the crew were unavailable so we had to run the show while being four hands short this meant that people who didn’t necessarily have a lot to do had to take on more jobs. One of the things that I had to take on was holding the ship wreck which is placed behind a gauze but in front of a cloth even though it had legs on it they had previously discovered that when the legs were out it meant that they couldn’t get the ship off from behind the cloth. Even though we were short of people everything still seemed to run smoothly and there were minimal problems.

 

Thursday 1st February 2018

6pm – 11pm (5hrs)

Due to the nature of theatre, it was very much the same as the night before we started with taking the market stalls onto the stage and then taking the walk down off before sweeping the stage ready to start the show. Although we got more hands and therefore I was able to return to the roles I had done previously, and the show ran smoothly.

 

Friday 2nd February 2018

6pm – 11pm (5hrs)

This show and all the stuff that had to be done ran the same as previously. But right at the end one of the cloths couldn’t be brought across as it got stuck on the clamp of one of the LED Batons that it runs past and so we had to put the song board through the front curtains and the stage manager held the front curtains closed behind the board as they couldn’t be closed as they usually do due to the board being there and myself and the rest of the crew had to set the walk down scene without being seen and ensuring that the performers didn’t come onto stage until the scene was finished otherwise they would have been seen.

 

Saturday 3rd February 2018

1pm – 11pm (10hrs)

Matinee

The issue that had occurred the night before was rectified as part of the pre-show checks after that everything ran as it did before. With helping sweep the stage. Then taking one of the market stalls onto the stage before removing the walkdown from the stage and putting it in the designated area. The scene changes done with clothes, helping walk the clothes across the stage and set them with planks of wood. The ship that went on stage a couple of times in its multiple pieces and going on and off in a certain order to ensure that it can be stored correctly. And at the end of the night, the stage was once again swept so that there was less to do the next day.

Evening

After a short break, I helped with helping sweep the stage. Then taking one of the market stalls onto the stage before removing the walkdown from the stage and putting it in the designated area. The scene changes done with clothes, helping walk the clothes across the stage and set them with planks of wood. The ship that went on stage a couple of times in its multiple pieces and going on and off in a certain order to ensure that it can be stored correctly. On one of these changed unfortunately one of the foldable stairs broke and so we had to use the walk down stairs which weren’t as high as the ones which broke off and so when I wasn’t helping with props for the scene, I was helping the performers safely use the stairs.

 

Sunday 4th February 2018

9am – 12pm (3hrs)

This day was the get out. There were two balcony areas on either side of the stage that had been decorated as too different locations using different fabrics and so I spent the entire three hours taking them apart as they were attached to the walls with staples and the company wanted to save as much fabric as they could. Around the banisters, the fabric was attached with cable ties which proved more difficult to remove but the staples ended up taking the most time as there were so many of them. After that, I helped coil cables and load the truck for transport back to storage.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s